Browser info: Experience this forum at its smoothest with either Firefox or Chrome.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Hackintosh - Tonymac86
01-13-2012, 11:49 PM
Hackintosh - Tonymac86
Just built a Hackintosh (PC build running Mac OS X) using the Tonymac86 method for working at home.

Installed 10.7.2 Lion in about 20 mins and all running well. Thumbsup

Got 2 screens running and will attempt a triple display when I get a Displayport to HDMI adaptor in the week.

Will start a thread detailing the install another time but it's built using:
  • GPU: 1GB Gigabyte HD 6850 OC
  • Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3, Intel Z68
  • CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K
  • HDD: 60GB Corsair Force Series 3
  • Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 612S CPU Cooler
  • RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) Corsair DDR3 Vengeance
Total: about £650

elootos - mediacenterhouse.com
This forum has no strict rules, just those I make up as I go along!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-15-2012, 02:28 PM
RE: Hackintosh - Tonymac86
Nice one mate, keep us all updated on how you get one and some screenshots would be nice.

T.C.
01-15-2012, 05:26 PM
(01-15-2012 02:28 PM)tonyc Wrote:  Nice one mate, keep us all updated on how you get one and some screenshots would be nice.

T.C.

Will do.

I'm quite excited by it; it boots to desktop in about 5secs after the BIOS stage and is sooo responsive. I've got a 2.4G Mac Mini (2010) at work as well and the Hackintosh for the same money whips its ass!

Fingers crossed it stays stable but some of the Tonymac community seem to get good, if not better stability than real macs.

Might be time to get Media Center via Parallels desktop on the Hac connected to the lounge!...

01-30-2012, 04:42 PM
Result!

Got the work hackintosh running across 3 screens today! Two 24" HDMI displays and a 50" DVI plasma!

Will get around to posting the build and photos soon. Thumb

04-13-2012, 08:59 AM
Update time:

Well, still no photos or build details yet Sad but they will happen!

The Hackintosh at work is blazing along nicely, running Pro Tools 10 with a firewire 003 Rack and across 3 screens. Never really crashes, but when it does (about once every 20 - 30hrs of use) it seems to be related to the 003 Rack, which I think has dodgy drivers in Pro Tools 10 anyway as several models we have across several Macs click on ADAT connections, all running V10. FYI, a Presonus Firestudio runs much happier without issue. And is much cheaper :)

I've a Hackintosh at home as well in the kitchen; dual boot Windows7 and 10.7.3 Lion, and this is sublime; thought there was an issue with the mobo as it kept crashing, however this turned out to be a bad memory stick, but before I figured this out, I tried installing it all on an entirely new mobo (GA-H67MA-USB3-B3) and just moved the Mac SSD across thinking it wouldn't be happy booting in to an entirely new machine, but it did, without a single issue! Something that Windows would never do.

If it weren't for Media Center, I'd only run Hackintoshs for sure. I am thinking of trying to run Win7 Media Center in Parallels Desktop, but this may just complicate things entirely. Unsure

11-13-2012, 04:07 PM
About time I updated this thread about the Hackintoshs, and it will create my 1000th post on this forum as well, jeesh Rolleyes

Just some photos I took of the Mac Pro I built (EDIT- hardware listed in post1) :

The idea was to make it as silent as it could be, and I've achieved that. I'm typing this post on it and even though it's under the desk, I can't hear it. The Corsair PSU was shite BTW, it was noisy and it failed after 2 months. Updated it to a Coolermaster of about the same spec and that one is truly quiet. The large case was for a) a quiet machine that wouldn't overheat in a small box, and b) for the mobo that I wanted for Pro Tools stability (was recommended on TonyMac's site).

Just a crappy screenshot of when it first fired up, happy days!

Only rates it as an early 2008 Mac Pro, but it easily holds it own against Apple's recent machines, and all for 700 odd quid.

Triple screens attached, but the info window won't let me widen it to show them all! I couldn't get triple screens working properly on the 6850 that I bought, but I had a 6500 at home, so swapped it over and bang; triple screen loveliness!!

One main SSD for the Lion OS, and a whisper quiet 500GB drive for the purpose of shadowing the SSD (major tip - always create a dupe of the main OS for restoration purposes should the need arise)

Only 8GB RAM in this machine.

11-13-2012, 04:22 PM
Top tips from my main ATX Pro Tools build:

Always have a shadow drive/partition to duplicate the OS drive onto in case of boot errors or just simply cocking it up. On the 500GB spare SATA drive I installed alongside the SSD, I created a same size partition that is purely there to copy across the OS every now and then. For the copy process I use Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC).

The 6850 ATi GPU I bought didn't run triple screens, I had to use a 6500 instead. But for any triple screen build, you'll need a card with a displayport for the third screen, and if you don't have a monitor or TV with a Displayport (unlikely), you'll need an active adaptor to turn it into an HDMI. If you use a passive adaptor, it's just a pin-to-pin converter and the card defaults to an HDMI standard on the displayport and it won't work. The active adapator basically keeps the true displayport output, then converts it to an HDMI standard within the adaptor.